Tuesday 17 May 2016

Building a FOUNDATION


A Call to Construction:
Since first applying to Vanguard College in 2011 I have come to realize this:
God uses our stories, gifts, and talents in extraordinary ways if we let Him.
I have realized many things about what I have been called to do in my life
and in my ministry in the past four years.  While God has put a few passions
in my heart that may not actually see the light until I have more experience,
they are just waiting to burst out of me.

I have a passion and desire to work with the youth of my city.  Currently this is Edmonton Alberta.  I've come to realize over the past four years that regardless of the context of my 'job' I just want to have the opportunity to speak into teens lives and to allow them to have the same opportunity that I had by having a mentor at age 16.  The most simple definition I have come up with for my calling is this:  "I want to be a 'Laura' to an 'Alia'.
If there is a need for a teen to have a mentor, someone to guide them, or just to simply hang out with them I want to be there for that.

The more ministry I do the more I notice that social media has been and is shaping the world view and self esteem (or lack of) in our teenage girls.  My deepest desire is to help them realize their worth and potential in Christ and to hold on to the hope that there is more to life than how many 'likes' I get on an instagram photo.

Building a Foundation
As many of you know, I have been working part time with an organization called 
Youth For Christ
or in most of Canada,
Youth Unlimited.
This is a non-profit organization that desires to walk along side youth in the community as they explore potential and discover hope.  If you want to look up more info on this amazing parachurch organization check out our website at www.yuedmonton.com
YU is all over the world and we have 4 drop in centres in Edmonton. I have the privilege of working at the FOUNDATION in South East Edmonton in a community called Millbourne.  I began volunteering at the drop in center when it opened at the end of November 2014, and have been officially on part-time staff since January 2015. 

Our drop in times run Monday and Friday 3:30-5:30 and Tuesday 7-9:30 pm.  We have our own space in the basement of Millbourne Community Life Centre (MCLC) that has been custom made to suit our students. We have a games room with a play station and X box; there is a 'tutoring room' with computer access and tutoring available as well as a cafĂ©, an art room, and a functional recording studio!  Our teens are into music and hip hop/rap so we are able to give them the opportunity to explore their gifts and talents.

We make over 100 contact points a week in this community. Over the year and a half I have absolutely fallen in love with the teens in this community.  They are unique and an absolute blast to hang out with (even when they are being complete punks!)!

The first time I went to the Foundation was for a college class I was in-- we were checking out 'inner city' ministries.  I had just been discussing with a friend the week before about how I didn't understand why God gave me so many different passions that didn't seem to mesh together, or that I could not seem to find in one single ministry.  The day I was introduced to the Foundation, my view of this was completely rocked.  I am now currently working my dream job.  There is opportunities for music and worship, for mentoring, for coffee, hanging out and playing video games, tutoring, speaking opportunities, a place to do Alpha and potential to contextualize any ministry we see a need for in the centre.

God has truly blessed our centre with astounding teens.  The more I get to know them, the more I love them, and the more I cannot wait to see them meet and love Jesus.  They are great kids and I feel so incredibly blessed to get to hang out with them every week!

As my Bachelor of Arts: Youth Ministry graduation has come and gone, I have made the decision to take on a full time position at the Foundation.  Due to being a non-profit organization, I need to raise most of my salary.  This is where you can help minister to these kids too!.  I am in need of partners who believe in the potential and hope for teenagers to come along side me and support me financially as I dive into this new chapter of my life!  There is definitely a 'return' on this investment as you join with me in helping our teens realize their potential to do great things.  I will be writing blogs and sending update letters to keep you up to date with how our ministry is growing and shaping at the Foundation.

On our website you can make a donation. 
It's quite simple.  just click on the link below, 
Fill out your information (You will receive a tax receipt for your donation[s] in February of the following year).
I LOVE telling stories about our students, and I LOVE coffee.. so in turn, I would LOVE to go to coffee with you, get to know YOU better and share about the students I get to hang out with every week!

This is honestly my dream job.. There is a ton of opportunity for growth here. 
My co-workers and volunteer leaders are amazing.
I am excited to be full time at FOUNDATION but this depends on YOU to partner with me to make this dream come true!  :) 

If you have questions or want to know more about the FOUNDATION
please e-mail me at 
Alia@yfced.com

Yours Truly,
Alia Evashkevich


No comments:

Post a Comment